Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dialysis Unplugged: Industry Profits:are they are illusions?

On December 6 and 7, MedPac has it's meeting and one of the items on it's agenda is whether dialysis payments are adequate ..."By law, each year the Commission is required to review Medicare payment policies and to make recommendations to the Congress. The Commissioners will ask whether payments for outpatient dialysis services are adequate and how they should be updated in 2014. MedPac is inviting comments. 

I offer the commission 2 pieces of data shown below. The top panel are the financials from Fresenius, as published by Google Finance, and the bottom panel are the financials for DaVita, also from Google finance. Together, Fresenius and DaVita take care of the vast majority of dialysis patients. I ask MedPac to reflect on whether payments to dialysis providers should be increased. 

Perhaps, the dialysis industry answer will come from the lyrics from the Andrew Lloyd Webber song "Don't Cry for Me Argentina": 


"And as for fortune and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world
They were all I desired
They are illusions"

Top Panel: Fresenius Financial statement (red line indicates operating margin)
DaVita Financial statement (red line indicates operating margin)